Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2018

Walking on Air

Walking on Air:  Science is a passion of mine!  I love passing on that passion to my 3rd-grade students.  I always start the year with this fun science activity!  My students are posed the question:  Can you walk on air?   We brainstorm together and record our ideas (both individual and group) in our science notebooks.  We then vote to see which ideas we will test.  Day one was using balloons to tape to our feet.  The students record their findings on trial #1:  It was unstable, the balloons popped, we needed support to walk.  On day two, we try out the second idea.  This year one of my students thought of using a structure to put on top of the balloons.  I have used a card table in the past.  This year my students suggested using our small red roundtable.  It worked perfectly.  We then record our findings for trial #2:  Yes, we were able to walk on air by using a platform to balance us on the balloons (the student answers varied).  I LOVE starting with this activity as a way of showing the students how to capture design, redesign and data collection in their science notebooks... and ... it is just so amazingly amazing - Even the teacher can walk on air!


Do what you love... love what you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment